This Stuffed Pepper Skillet is a satisfying, one-pan weeknight meal. Made with ingredients like ground chicken, rice, kidney beans and bell peppers, this healthy dinner has all the flavours of stuffed peppers, but with way less work!
This recipe was adapted from my popular Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup – give it a try, too!
Okay, so technically this meal is more like an “unstuffed” pepper skillet. We’re putting together all the same ingredients, but instead of taking the time to stuff the peppers and bake them in the oven, we keep it simple and cook everything on the stove top. It’s made in just one skillet, instead of the 2-3 dishes you would need for stuffed peppers. Yay for shortcuts!
You’re going to love this stuffed pepper skillet because
- it comes together in about 30 minutes
- it’s an all-in-one balanced meal, full of lean protein and colourful vegetables
- the flavour is well loved by all (kid approved!)
- leftovers are perfect for meal prep lunch
- Onion – 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Bell peppers – 3 of your favourite colour(s)
- Ground chicken – one pound, any ground meat will work
- Long-grain white rice – 1 cup, rinsed briefly. Any variety should work, but I like to use jasmine.
- Kidney beans – 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- Diced tomatoes – 15 oz can, not drained
- Tomato paste – a full small can (about 5.5oz)
- Chicken broth – 2 1/4 cup
- Herbs and spices: dried basil, dried parsley, oregano, onion powder, red pepper flakes
- Chopped fresh parsley – optional garnish
- Freshly grated parmesan – optional garnish, omit if dairy free
How to make it
1. Heat olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until starting to soften, then add the bell pepper and sauté for another minute or so. Add the ground chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink (at least 5 minutes). Break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
2. Stir in the rice, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and all the dried herbs/spices. Be sure the ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer, cover, then turn heat down to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking. Add more broth if you find it’s getting too dry for your taste. It’s done once the rice is cooked to your liking! Serve immediately with your chosen garnishes.
Tips for Success
- Be sure you have a strong simmer. If you don’t have a good simmer, the rice won’t cook evenly and it will take much longer to cook (which will dry out the whole dish). You want it to really bubble before covering and turning the heat down to low.
- Don’t walk away – stir occasionally. You need to stir every 4-5 minutes once it’s simmering to be sure the rice doesn’t stick to the skillet.
- Add broth if needed. I usually end up adding a splash or two toward the end of cooking time, to be sure I don’t end up with any crispy rice.
- Don’t skip rinsing the rice. This helps remove excess starch so the dish will have a more pleasing texture.
Can I make this vegan?
Yes! To make this skillet vegan, leave out the chicken and add another can of kidney beans (cannellini beans would also be great – why not both?). Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and skip the parmesan garnish.
Other easy weeknight meals
Stuffed Pepper Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers, diced (yellow, red or orange)
- 1 lb ground chicken (any ground meat will work)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed (I like to use jasmine)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, not drained (fire-roasted are great)
- 1 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- chopped fresh parsley
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large (12") skillet/frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until starting to soften. Add the bell pepper and sauté another minute or so, then add the ground chicken and cook until no longer pink (at least 5 minutes), while breaking it into smaller pieces . Drain any excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the rice, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, basil, parsley, oregano, onion powder and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined then season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, then turn heat down to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and cooked to your liking. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the skillet and add more broth if you find the texture is getting too dry. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Recipe serves 4-6, depending on the size of your appetite.
- Make it vegan/vegetarian: skip the meat, add another can of beans and use vegetable broth. Omit parmesan garnish, if necessary.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review below!
I’d love to hear from you!
Hey, I’m Laura!
Creator of The Recipe Well
I love food and cooking, but hate doing the dishes. I use my nutrition degree to create easy, approachable recipes that will help you find your happy place in the kitchen.