Mediterranean Bean Salad is a fresh and healthy side dish, made with three types of beans, a delicious vinaigrette, lots of vegetables and fresh herbs. It’s perfect for meal prep, potlucks and as a side dish during grilling season.
Are you a fan of Mediterranean food? The Mediterranean diet is often touted for its health benefits because of its focus on heart-healthy fats, vegetables, fruits and legumes. This Mediterranean Bean Salad combines all of these elements.
-Fresh, colourful vegetables
-Heart-healthy olives and olive oil
-High-fibre legumes (also a good source of plant-based protein)
And, most importantly, it tastes great!
Be sure to check out the recipe card below for exact quantities and detailed instructions!
For the dressing you’ll need
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
For the salad you’ll need
- Cannellini beans – also called white kidney beans, one 19-ounce can
- Kidney beans – one 19-ounce can
- Chickpeas – one 15-ounce can
- English cucumber – you could use regular cucumber as well, but if you do, I recommend removing the seeds.
- Cherry tomatoes – sliced in half or in three, depending on the size.
- Bell pepper – I used orange, but yellow and red would be great too!
- Kalamata olives – I like to slice them to spread out the saltiness.
- Fresh parsley
- Red onion – diced small, so you don’t get too much onion in one bite!
- Fresh basil – I used 20 medium-sized leaves.
- Feta cheese – optional; leave it out if you want to keep the salad vegan!
How to make it
First, make the dressing. Whisk all ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl and set aside.
Next, combine the beans, vegetables and herbs. In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients except the feta cheese and gently mix to combine.
Then, add the dressing. Mix gently until everything is evenly coated in dressing.
Fold in the feta cheese. Then, if you have time, cover the salad and refrigerate for 2 hours or longer to let the flavours blend.
Tips for success
Be sure to let the rinsed beans drain really well. If there’s too much residual water on the beans, it can dilute the dressing.
Let the salad marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. You could even make the salad the day before. The longer it sits, the more the flavours blend together.
Be gentle when mixing the salad together. I like to use a silicone spatula to fold the salad together, so that the vegetables and beans don’t get squished.
More salad recipes
- Lemon Dill Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Apple Almond Quinoa Salad
- Zesty Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Spicy Tuna Pasta Salad
Mediterranean Bean Salad
Click stars to rate now! ↑
For the dressing
For the salad
- 1 19oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- 1 19oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- half an English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red, orange or yellow)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup small-dice red onion
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (113 g)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the beans, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, olives, parsley, red onion and basil.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss until everything is evenly coated. Fold in the crumbled feta. For best flavour, cover the salad and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and eat within 4 days.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a review below and share your results!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review below!
I’d love to hear from you!
Hey, I’m Laura!
Creator of The Recipe Well
If you’re looking for easy meals and Instant Pot recipes, you’re in the right place! I use my nutrition degree to create simple, approachable recipes that will help you find your happy place in the kitchen.