Baked Feta Chicken Pasta (Tik Tok Recipe)
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked Feta Chicken Pasta is a quick dinner made with a handful of simple, fresh ingredients. Inspired by the viral Tik Tok baked feta pasta, you’ll love this higher protein version with chicken!
Inspired by Feel Good Foodie’s viral Tik Tok video, we tried the baked feta pasta that caused grocery stores in Finland to run out of feta cheese (here’s the original recipe, uunifetapasta by Liemessa, translated to English). In fact, I think it may be causing grocery stores in Canada to run out of feta! The feta section was totally picked over at the store and while I was there, I overheard a lady asking where to find the feta to make a recipe she saw on Tik Tok. Crazy.
We tried the recipe and loved it, so I decided to make a version of my own with chicken. It’s a nice option if you want to increase the protein in your meal!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Baked Feta Chicken Pasta. The below is an overview of ingredients and steps – see the recipe card below for all the details!
- Chicken – two boneless skinless 8-ounce breasts
- Feta cheese – one block, about 8 ounces
- Cherry tomatoes – two pints, or about 20 ounces
- Garlic – we used 5-6 large cloves. Use more or less depending on your taste!
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes – for some heat, optional
- Fresh basil – to stir into the sauce and garnish
- Fusilli – or any short pasta; you need 8 ounces
How to make it
Place the chicken breasts and feta cheese in a 9×13-inch ceramic baking dish. Surround the chicken and cheese with the tomatoes and garlic. Pour olive oil over top, then season everything with kosher salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Toss everything with your hands to ensure an even coating of olive oil and seasoning.
Bake for 35 minutes at 400 °F. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside, reserving about half a cup of cooking water to thin the sauce (this is optional, you may find you don’t need the extra water).
If your chicken breasts are on the smaller side, start checking for doneness at about 30 minutes (mine were done at 35 minutes). Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 °F, transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Optional step: turn the oven up to broil and return the feta and tomatoes to the oven for about 3 minutes to blister the tomatoes.
Once the cheese and tomatoes are done broiling, remove the dish from the oven and use a wooden spoon to stir them together, gently squishing the tomatoes and garlic cloves. Fold in the fresh basil, then add the cooked pasta. Mix until the noodles are nicely coated, then stir in the sliced chicken. Serve!
How to chiffonade (thinly slice) basil
- Stack leaves face down on the cutting board.
- Roll up the stack as if you were rolling up a piece of paper.
- Use a sharp knife to thinly slice the roll.
- Pull apart the slices into pretty ribbons!
Tips for success
Pound the chicken. If your chicken breasts are much thicker on one side, you can flatten the thicker side (we do this in a freezer bag, using a rolling pin). This will ensure more even cooking.
Don’t overcook the chicken. Especially if you use smaller chicken breasts, start checking for doneness (internal temperature of 165 °F) around 30 minutes.
Use a short noodle that will “grab” the sauce. I used fusilli, but you could also use rotini, bow ties (farfalle) or cavatappi.
Rest the chicken before slicing. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. This will help keep it juicy!
Enjoy right away. This pasta has the best taste and texture served immediately, but you can save leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave.
More easy dinner recipes
- Chicken and Zucchini Casserole
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi and Vegetables
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Instant Pot Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Summer Vegetable Orzo with Chicken
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review below! You can also subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Instagram and TikTok to see the latest recipes and meal inspiration!
Baked Feta Chicken Pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (two 8-ounce breasts)
- 8 ounce block of feta cheese
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (about 20 ounces)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 8 ounces uncooked fusilli (or any type of short pasta)
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. In a 9×13-inch ceramic casserole dish, evenly space out the chicken breasts and block of feta. Place the tomatoes and garlic cloves around the chicken and feta. The dish will be crowded.
- Pour the olive oil over everything in the dish, then season with kosher salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Use your hands to toss the ingredients in the seasoning, making sure the chicken and feta are nicely coated in oil. (Wash your hands before moving on – food safety!)
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Start checking your chicken for doneness around 30 minutes (minimum internal temperature of 165 °F in the thickest part of the breast). My chicken needed the full 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve a half cup of cooking liquid to thin the sauce (optional – you may not need it).
- At the end of cooking time, remove the chicken breasts to a clean cutting board to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Optional step: Turn the oven up to broil and return the cheese and tomatoes to the oven for about 3 minutes to blister the tomatoes.
- Stir the cheese and tomatoes in the casserole dish, gently squishing the tomatoes and garlic cloves. Add the fresh basil and stir until evenly distributed, then add the cooked pasta and toss until evenly coated in sauce.
- Add the sliced chicken to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately with more fresh basil. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and eat within 4 days.
- Can serve up to 6 depending on the size of your appetite and whether you’re serving it with a side dish (I recommend a nice green salad!).
- Inspired by Yumna’s viral Tik Tok from Feel Good Foodie. Recipe adapted from the recipe by Grilled Cheese Social.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review below!
I’d love to hear from you!
Hey, I’m Laura!
Creator of The Recipe Well
If you’re looking for easy meals and Instant Pot recipes, you’re in the right place! I use my nutrition degree to create simple, approachable recipes that will help you find your happy place in the kitchen.
Had this tonight at our monthly ladies meeting at our church. Several ladies asked for the recipe. It was yummy!!!
Can you use cream cheese in place of the feta?
Hi Kim, I haven’t tested the recipe using cream cheese so I can’t advise. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out!
The noodles with tomato/feta sauce were delicious! However, the chicken was extremely bland. I would cook the chicken separately even though it means washing another pan. Or maybe use cooked rotisserie chicken? I will make again
Hi Carolyn, you could absolutely add more seasoning to your chicken! We found the sauce gave it enough flavour once it was all mixed together. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Was great. My family loved it. I added some mushrooms and sweet bell peppers.
Those sound like nice additions! Glad you enjoyed it!
This tastes like restaurant quality. One of our new favorite pasta recipes and so easy to make too! The added chicken is really good too.
Love hearing this, Kim! So glad you enjoyed the recipe!
So happy you enjoyed it!