Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans are a delicious addition to any meal with chicken, beef or fish. You need just a few simple ingredients for this easy side dish!
If you’re looking for more side dish ideas, you might like my Green Beans Almondine!
Who doesn’t love a two-for-one deal? That’s what you’re getting with this recipe. You get the variety of two side dishes, but with the cleanup of just one! One that note, you might like my Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes – the chicken, potatoes and lemon garlic sauce cook together in one pot!
These roasted potatoes are fluffy in the middle with beautiful golden brown edges, while the beans roast to a tender-crisp texture. We love to sprinkle them with parmesan for an extra savoury kick, but it’s totally optional. It’s such a versatile side – it pairs with just about any main dish and is a great option for smaller holiday gatherings.
Here’s an overview of the ingredients and steps to make Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans. See the recipe card below for all the details!
- Yellow mini potatoes – you can also use mini red potatoes, but I find the golden colour looks prettier with the green beans once roasted.
- Fresh green beans – trimmed and sliced in half
- Olive oil – to coat the potatoes and green beans before roasting
- Italian seasoning – for the potatoes
- Garlic powder – for the beans. I like to use garlic powder rather than fresh garlic in this recipe, so we don’t need to worry about the garlic burning.
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese – optional after roasting, but highly recommended.
How to make it
Step one: Prep the potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400 °F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the halved mini potatoes in olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt. Spread the potatoes out evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes.
Step two: Prep the green beans
In the same bowl, toss the green beans with olive oil, garlic powder and salt. Once the potatoes have roasted for the first 20 minutes, give them a toss, then add the green beans in an even layer around them. Roast for another 25 minutes.
Step three: Garnish and serve
After roasting, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve!
Tips for Success
Ensure the sliced potatoes are evenly sized for even cooking. If any of the mini potatoes are significantly larger than the others, slice them into quarters rather than in half.
Use a large baking sheet. I use a 13″x18″ size. A large baking sheet is important so that everything will fit with good air flow. It’s okay if some of the beans are overlapping, but the potatoes should be spaced apart for best results.
Change up the seasoning. I use Italian seasoning for convenience, but you could also use a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary.
Use regular potatoes. If you don’t have mini potatoes, simply chop regular yellow potatoes into the same size (about an inch to inch-and-a-half thick). Your choice whether to peel them!
Drizzle with herb butter. Skip the Italian seasoning before roasting, and toss the cooked potatoes and green beans with a mixture of 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter and 1-1.5 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, after cooking. You’ll still need to use olive oil for roasting.
Frequently asked questions
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This recipe holds up well as leftovers, so it’s a great option for meal prep.
You can reheat on the stovetop over medium heat in a non-stick skillet (add a bit of oil if needed), or simply microwave until heated through.
Yes! I tested this recipe with both regular and French-style green beans. They needed a similar roasting time, but you can check for doneness after 20 minutes of roasting to be sure they don’t overcook.
More side dish recipes
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Almond Apple Quinoa Salad
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash
Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
For the potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs mini potatoes, sliced in half or quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- A few turns freshly ground black pepper
For the beans
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional; omit for vegan or use vegan parm)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional )
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (optional, but I line the pan for easier cleanup).
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced baby potatoes with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and pepper. Place in an even layer on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- In the same bowl, toss the green beans with the olive oil, garlic powder and kosher salt. Set aside.
- After the first 20 minutes of roasting is done, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the potatoes. Add the green beans in an even layer around the potatoes and return to the baking sheet to the oven. Roast for another 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft in the middle and the beans are fork tender.
- When the roasting is done, sprinkle the potatoes and green beans with freshly grated parmesan and chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and eat within 4 days.
Hey, I’m Laura!
Creator of The Recipe Well
I love food and cooking, but hate doing the dishes. I use my nutrition degree to create easy, approachable recipes that will help you find your happy place in the kitchen.