This healthy, flavourful lemon yogurt sauce is a great accompaniment to spicy curries, fritters, grilled chicken or fish. You need just a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes to prep!
Try it out on this easy Chickpea Spinach Curry!
Need something to cool the spiciness of a curry or top grilled kabobs? I’ve got you covered with this delicious lemon yogurt sauce. It’s super easy to whip up at the last minute with ingredients you probably already have in your fridge and pantry, though I do recommend making it before the rest of your meal so that it has time to let the flavours blend.
Here’s what you need to make it:
- Plain yogurt – I used a 2.9% fat variety for a creamier texture versus fat free. You could also use Greek yogurt for a higher protein option, though I do like the runnier texture of regular yogurt for this recipe.
- Lemon juice – be sure to use freshly squeezed juice for the best results. You need the zest from a lemon anyway!
- Lemon zest – this turns up the lemon flavour a notch. If you decide you want more lemon flavour, I suggest adding more lemon juice rather than more zest. The zest can overpower.
- Garlic – I used one large clove. Grate it on a microplane or use a garlic press to help the flavour distribute more evenly.
- Cumin – for flavour
- Sea salt – adjust the amount to your taste
- Fresh parsley – optional garnish, but adds nice colour and freshness to your meal!
How to make it
Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
Taste and adjust the flavours (see my tips in the recipe card below).
Chill covered in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the flavours blend. So easy!
What to serve with lemon yogurt sauce
This sauce pairs well with spicy curries, fritters, fried appetizers, grilled meats and fish. Here are some suggestions!
- Potato and Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Baked Zucchini Carrot Fritters
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken Kebabs from Maple and Mango
- Grilled Chicken Tenders from Nourish Plate
- Lemon Honey Glazed Salmon from Salt and Baker
- Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts from Strength and Sunshine
More sauce recipes
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt (I used a 2.9% fat variety)
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Taste, then adjust the amount of lemon juice, garlic and/or salt to suit your preference.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to blend. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and eat within 4 days.
- How to adjust the flavours: if you need more overall flavour, add salt. If you want a stronger lemon flavour, add more lemon juice. And if you want more bite, add a bit more garlic.
- Nutrition is estimated using a 2-tablespoon serving size.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review below!
I’d love to hear from you!
Hey, I’m Laura!
Creator of The Recipe Well
I love food and cooking, but hate doing the dishes. I use my nutrition degree to create easy, approachable recipes that will help you find your happy place in the kitchen.