Instant Pot Pesto Vegetable Soup
Instant Pot Pesto Vegetable Soup is the perfect way to use summer vegetables. Tomatoes, zucchini, carrots and white beans pair beautifully with basil in the pesto. This soup is full of flavour and hearty enough to eat as a main course.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Inactive Time32 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 19oz can white beans I used cannellini
- 4 large red tomatoes, seeded and diced about 4 cups
- 3 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup pesto your favourite store-bought brand or from the linked recipe
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz large shell pasta about 1 heaping cup dry measure
- fine-grain sea salt to taste
- freshly grated parmesan optional
- fresh basil optional
Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until starting to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds, until fragrant. Turn off the sauté function.
Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, celery, carrots, zucchini, pesto, tomato paste and red pepper flakes. Give it a little stir, then add the shell pasta and press it under the broth until just submerged (do not stir).
Close the lid, set to sealing and use the Manual setting to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. It will take about 30 minutes to come to pressure.
At the end of cooking time, quick release the pressure and stir to ensure even distribution of the ingredients. Add salt to taste and serve immediately topped with parmesan or chopped fresh basil, if desired.
- Inactive time indicates time for Instant Pot to come to pressure and release pressure after cooking time.
- You must use cooked beans in this recipe.
- If you substitute a different type of noodle, note that 1 cup dry measure may be more or less than 2 oz because the shape of the noodle allows for more or less to fit in the cup. Best to measure by weight, if you can. For example, 2oz regular macaroni = 1/2 cup dry measure.
- Make it vegan by using a vegan pesto and avoiding the parmesan garnish.
- Make it gluten free by using gluten-free noodles.
- Add salt to taste after cooking. Depending on the broth and pesto you use, it may be salty enough without added salt.
- This recipe was tested in the 6-quart Instant Pot model.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 938mg | Potassium: 904mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5428IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 4mg