Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl
Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthy meal at any time of the day, but it's an especially delicious way to add more vegetables to your breakfast! Made with coleslaw mix, carrot, bell pepper and topped with portable egg muffins, these bowls are ideal for meal prep!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
For the egg muffins
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
For the bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated carrot 2-3 medium
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced, then in half
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or freshly grated ginger
- 1 14oz packaged coleslaw mix 400g, 1 bag
- 1/4 cup diced green onion about 6 stalks, white and light green part only
- 3 tablespoons wheat-free tamari or soy sauce, if not gluten free
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- hot sauce Sriracha pairs well!
- additional diced green onion
Make the egg muffins. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease 8 spots in a muffin tin OR use 8 silicone muffin liners on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Crack an egg in each, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the yolk has set. You might need 5 minutes more, if using the silicone liners.
Meanwhile, make the vegetables. Heat olive oil a large skillet over medium heat. Add the grated carrot, sliced pepper and ginger paste and sauté until the carrots and pepper are starting to soften.
Add the coleslaw mix and green onion and sauté (stirring frequently) another 3 minutes, or until the cabbage has wilted to your desired texture.
Mix in the tamari and sesame oil and toss to coat. Serve immediately with two egg muffins and desired garnishes, or divide among four glass meal prep containers to store in the refrigerator. Consume within 4 days.
- If storing the egg muffins for meal prep, remove the eggs from the muffin tin to cool completely on a baking rack. This will prevent over cooking the egg. Overcooking eggs can bring on a chemical reaction that will cause a green/grey colour to form on the bottom of the egg muffin (still edible, but doesn't look nice!).
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 327mg | Sodium: 923mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6912IU | Vitamin C: 77mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 3mg